MYGRATION

Lakhbir Singh Minhas

Lakhbir Singh Minhas was born in the Punjab region of what is now Pakistan. He moved to Slough in the 1960s in order to provide better opportunities for himself and his family.

This photograph shows Mr Lakhbir Singh Minhas during his time as Mayor of Slough 1997-1998.

This is an advertisement for the opening of 'The Centre' which opened in July 1998. The old Slough Social Centre was demolished in 1997 and the new centre was built on the site.

ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries) was formed in 1926. In its first year the company employed 33000 employees.

In the early 1930s ICI bought out a local company called Naylor Brothers Ltd, which had a paint factory on Wexham Road. Since then ICI has been one of the town's largest employers.

The word 'Gurdwara' means gateway to the guru and is a place of worship for Sikhs.

The Sri Guru Singh Sabha opened in April 1976 and was the first Sikh Temple in Slough. The Gurdwara cost £70,000 and the money was raised entirely by donations.

ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries) was formed in 1926. In its first year the company employed 33000 employees.

In the early 1930s ICI bought out a local company called Naylor Brothers Ltd, which had a paint factory on Wexham Road. Since then ICI has been one of the town's largest employers.